By using this website, you consent to our use of cookies. For more information on cookies see our privacy policy page.

Text Size: a a
Home A-Z Index Subscribe/RSS Contact Us Twitter logo small white bird

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Does my pet have to be microchipped to travel?

A. YES.  Microchipping is a legal obligation before travelling.

EXCEPTION:  Pets identified by clearly readable tattoos applied before 3 July 2011 are not required to be microchipped (Reg. 576/2013 Article 17).  Proof of date of tattooing will be required.  Only cats,dogs and ferrets require a microchip.

Q .  What is ISO standard 11785?

A .  ISO 11785 (and 11784)are international standards that regulate the radio frequency identification (RFID) of animals.  ISO 11785 specifies how a transponder is activated and how the stored information is transferred to a transceiver (the characteristics of the transmission protocols between transponder and transceiver).

Q.  How can I find out if my pet’s microchip is readable by a device compatible with ISO standard 11785. 

A. Check with the manufacturer or supplier of the microchip

Q . What can I do if my pets’  microchip is not ISO 11785 compatible. 

A.  There are two options:-

    1. you may carry your own hand-held scanner, or
    2. You can have you veterinary practitioner re-chip your dog.

If you choose to have your dog re-chipped the vet should enter both microchips on the Annex IV form and record date of implantation of both.  The date recorded for the first microchip must precede the date of the rabies vaccination.  Failure to do this may result in your pet being put into quarantine or refused entry or in limited circumstances euthanisedThe measures referred to shall be applied at the expense of the owner and without the possibility of any financial compensation for the owner and/or the authorised person.

Q: My pets have more than 1 microchip implanted, which one should be record on the documentation. 

A.  All microchips should be recorded on the documentation along with the dates each microchip was implanted.


Rabies Vaccinations

Q : If my pet was microchipped and vaccinated for rabies on the same day.  Is this OK.

A:YES.  Once the pet was microchipped and vaccinated in the same veterinary practice.

Q: If my pet had the rabies vaccination first and microchipped a day or two later can my pet still travel to Ireland.

A:NO.  If you travel your pet will be put into quarantine or refused entry or in limited circumstanceseuthanised.  The measures referred to shall be applied at the expense of the owner and without the possibility of any financial compensation for the owner and/or the authorised person.

Q: My pet has all his vaccinations but is not microchipped, what should I do.

A:Your pet will need to be microchipped and received another rabies vaccination.  Your pet must then wait 21 days before travel.  THERE  ARE  NO  EXCEPTIONS.

Q:  My pet was vaccinated for rabies at  8 weeks of age.

A:NO.  For the purpose of EU pet travel rabies vaccinations administered to dogs less than 12 weeks of age are deemed invalid for pet travel, regardless of manufacturer’s instructions.

EXCEPTION: Prior to 29 December 2014 rabies vaccinations were permitted to be administered to animals 8 weeks of age in line with manufacturer’s instructions.

Q: Do I have to get a yearly rabies vaccination for my pet

A: While most EU countries require yearly rabies vaccination by law, 3-year vaccines are acceptable for travel to Ireland.

Q: Does my pet need a rabies blood test.

A: A blood sample will only be needed if you’re travelling from a county not listed below.

An EU member state; Andorra; Gibraltar; Greenland; the Faroe Islands; Iceland; Liechtenstein; Monaco; Norway; San Marino; Switzerland; Vatican City State.  Ascension Island; Antigua and Barbuda; Argentina; Aruba; Australia; Barbados; Bahrain; Belarus; Bermuda; Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba (the BES Islands); Bosnia and Herzegovina; British Virgin Islands; Canada; Cayman Islands; Chile; Curaçao; Fiji; Falkland Islands; French Polynesia; Hong Kong; Jamaica; Japan; Malaysia; Mauritius; Mayotte; Mexico; Montserrat; New Caledonia; New Zealand; Russia; Saint Helena; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Sint Maarten; Saint Pierre and Miquelon; Singapore; Taiwan; Trinidad and Tobago; United Arab Emirates; United States of America (including American Samoa; Guam; Northern Mariana Islands; Puerto Rico; US Virgin Islands); Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Vanuatu; Wallis and Futuna.

Q: I am taking my pet on holidays to a country not listed above.  Do I need a rabies blood test.

A: Yes.  A blood sample is needed for all pets that have entered a country which is not listed above.


EU Pet Passport

Q: Where can I get the pet passport?

A: You must contact a veterinarian in your home country. The national authorities in every EU country are responsible for distributing the passport to the vets that they have authorized for that purpose.

Animals travelling from outside of the EU do not need a Passport.  These animals should travel on an Annex IV certificate.

Q: Which animals need a pet passport?

A: The new EU-system is for cats, dogs and ferrets. For other pets, national legislation applies.

Therefore, for all other companion animals you wish to travel with, contact the national authorities in your country and/or in the country you wish to travel to. If your pet is a hybrid (such as a Bengal cat or Wolfdog), please contact the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine before making travel plans at livetrade [at] agriculture [dot] gov [dot] ie

Q: Can I travel with more than 5 pets?

A: The maximum number of pets allowed to travel with an individual under the EU pet travel scheme is 5 (five).  If you are travelling with more than 5 pets, you have to conform to the requirements of the “trade” (means both inside and from outside the EU) regime. Please contact the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine before making travel plans at livetrade [at] agriculture [dot] gov [dot] ie

An exemption from this requirement is introduced when travelling with pets aged over 6 months to attend a show, a competition or a sporting event. The owner needs to provide evidence of this.

Q. Does my pet HAVE TO travel in the cargo hold of the aircraft.

A. The Department considers it to be a matter for airlines to decide how the pet is carried. It is also a matter for airlines to decide how they carry emotional support/comfort animals.

Q: Do I have to have my dog treated for tapeworm.

A: Yes.  Specific tapeworm treatment is required for all dogs imported to Ireland (except those coming from Finland, Malta, UK or Norway).

Q: Do I have to have my cat treated for tapeworm.

A: No.  Tapeworm treatment is not required for cats.

Q: What happens to pets that fail compliance checks.

A: Animals which fail the compliance checks or deemed to be imported/exported in contravention to Pet Passport (No.2) Regulations 2014 , may at the discretion of this Department be:-

    1. Returned to their country/premises of origin, OR
    2. Placed into quarantine for the appropriate length and have the necessary vaccinations/tests required in order for the pet to become compliant with EU health requirements, OR
    3. In limited circumstances euthanised.

The measures referred to above shall be applied at the expense of the owner and without the possibility of any financial compensation for the owner and/or the authorised person.

Q: If I suspect that an animal in my care has rabies, what should I do?

A: When rabies is suspected it should be reported immediately to the duty vet on call, phone 076 106 4403 . Advice will be given about what steps to take next. The suspected animal should be kept isolated and restrained as well as any other animals that may have had contact with the suspect case.

Q: Where can I find further information about EU rules

A. New rules for pet travel and pet passports for EU citizens travelling inside or outside the EU